I was looking for photos for my website and I came across this photo which my daughter took on Worthing beach. I have to say I was more drawn to sunset and the reflection on the water than the crab. It’s just a crab right! Not very cuddly or cute and a bit pinchy if you get too near it’s claws.
So It got me curious about crabs, did you know for example:
- Crabs are decapods (meaning they have 10 legs)
- Crabs are super old they showed up 200 million years ago!
- Their average life span is 3-4 years
- Crabs walk and swim sideways.
- Groups of crabs who live together are known as casts
- Baby crabs are called hatchlings
- One of the most colourful crabs is called a Sally Lightfoot crab!
The facts go on but I know a bit more about crabs than I did before and so do you if you have read this far!
Get to know the crabs around you I say and I officially name this one Char Char after the photographer!